July 11, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Future Classics

Top 5 Wednesday (T5W) is a weekly meme created by Lainey (gingerreadslainey) and hosted by Sam (ThoughtsOnTomes). Learn more by checking out the Goodreads group here.




The topic for today is "Future Classics", so here's a handful of books I think will be just as well known in the decades to come.


BOOKS: 

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

This is a multi-generational novel which uses short stories to follow the descendants of two sisters—one who is sold into slavery, and the other who marries a white man. This was a very engaging novel complete with stories which were sad, happy, bittersweet, and every other emotion you could think of. Not only does this paint a few different historical time periods so well, it also touches on some topics and situations that I don't think many people have considered. This is on this list because I simply can't imagine this not being a favorite of readers however many decades from now.

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

This is the first book in a 13-book series chronicling the unfortunate events the Baudelaire orphans are put through after their parents die. This book was published in 1990, making it relatively old by publishing standards, but it continues to delight children and nostalgic adults alike. I feel that the hype for these books has been resurged because of the Netflix series adaptation, but these are books I also feel will continue to be popular amongst readers, especially considering the timeless vibe this storyline has. 


The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Set in Jackson, Mississippi in 1962, this follows a young aspiring writer and two maids who have stories to tell which will shine a light on how black maids are treated, and what their employers are really like. This has a great set of characters—primarily featuring strong women—and tackles quite a few facets of racism. This shows many of the ways racism is employed on a daily basis, from the blatant acts to subtle microaggressions. While I do not think this book was perfect, I imagine it will continue to be loved and keep a discussion going. 


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

When I think of the most popular YA books from the last decade, The Hunger Games is undoubtedly what comes to mind. I have seen people of all ages, and all backgrounds, discuss and love these books, which were made even more popular by the wildly successful movie adaptations. I feel like the Hunger Games will be seen a classic along the same vein of books like The Outsiders and The Giver.  


Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

While I did not particularly like this book, I can't help but notice the way in which it captures its readers. This feels like a novel which will always be talked about and never not be popular. Fight Club is also one of the few books which have been adapted into a movie where I actually hear about the novel more than the movie, and this is amongst non-readers too. I can recognize the literary merit it has, and I think the concept of a fight club is one which will always be found appealing. And I feel that because this is also an "older" novel, many already consider it a classic. 



Have you read any of these? Comment below if you have, or link your T5W post if you did one. Subscribe to BookSass for more book stuff, and thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. i've heard so many people raving about lemony snicket, but growing up outside the us, i haven't read it until now. i'd love to read it sometimes soon though!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to! I hadn't read the series until I was about 19, so I was also a bit late to the hype, but I found it to be just as fun and engaging as I had hoped it would be.

      Delete