July 4, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Best Books You've Read So Far in 2018

Top 5 Wednesday (T5W) is a weekly meme created by Lainey (gingerreadslainey) and hosted by Sam (ThoughtsOnTomes). Learn more by checking out the Goodreads group here.




Today I get to talk about a few of the best books I've read so far this year. I've read so many good books that this was actually a bit of a challenge to narrow them down.


BOOKS: 

The Woman in the Window by A.J Finn 

One genre of book I practically never read is thrillers. However, something compelled me to read WITW when it was released, and I'm so glad I did because it was amazing. This is a domestic thriller about an agoraphobic woman who sees the what she believes is the murder of her neighbor through her window. This was a book I could hardly put down once I got into it, and the majority of the twists and turns were unpredictable. This also discusses a lesser represented mental illness which I appreciated. Overall, this was a captivating read and is the book I credit for my sudden desire to read thrillers.


A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare

I started reading Shakespeare this year, and this was the first play I chose. Since the start of the year, I have read 7 Shakespeare plays total and this is still my favorite to date. This play is whimsical and fun, has the best cast of characters, and is so funny. This features humans, faeries, a play within a play, and delightful trickery resulting in a few comical mixups.




The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo

I guarantee this will be one of my top 5 favorite books for the whole year. This is told in verse, which normally I dislike, but for this, it was the perfect way in which to tell this story. The writing was beautiful and I found a plethora of fantastic quotes to highlight. This is a YA contemporary following Xiomara, a teen girl growing up in New York City who writes poetry as a way of coping with her life, and who has the opportunity to share her poems through spoken word. Xiomara struggles with issues such as; female sexuality, womanhood, familial expectations, religion, and body image.


The Awakening by Kate Chopin

Of all the books on this list, this is my most recently read one. This is a very short novella written in 1899 with heavy feminist themes. This follows a woman who, after falling in love with a man who is not her husband, finds herself discontented with her life as a wife and mother. She feels she has awoken and discovered her true self. She does not obsess over her children or husband the way other mothers and wives seem to, she does not particularly care for domestic duties, and she wants to express herself in ways that may not be socially acceptable. Given the time period this was written, this was an impressively forward-thinking piece of literature.


Nasty Women: Feminism, Resistance, and Revolution in Trump's America edited by Samhita Mukhopadhyay

This collection of essays comes from a diverse set of writers and focuses on feminist themes and how to continue fighting for our rights during Trump's presidency. These essays are not only memorable, but I also found them to be quite inspiring. The essays in this tackle issues from trans rights to women's rights to mental health and everything in between. I cannot think of many issues concerning different minority groups who are not represented in these essays. 



Let me know if you've read any of these in the comments, and link your T5W post if you made one. Subscribe to BookSass for more book stuff and thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment