June 6, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Summer Reads

Top 5 Wednesday (T5W) is a weekly meme created by Lainey (gingerreadslainey) and hosted by Sam (ThoughtsOnTomes). Learn more by checking out the Goodreads group here.




Today's topic is Summer Reads. During the summer I tend to lean towards books that are light and fun, set during the summertime, or have an adventurous aspect to them. Some of these I've already read, and some are ones I've put on my own summer TBR.

BOOKS: 

Never Ever by Sara Saedi

This is a reimagining of Peter Pan that I read a few years ago. It's set during the summertime and takes place primarily on an island. I remember this being a very fun and quick read, which I think makes it perfect for summer.


Frannie and Tru by Karen Hattrup

This is a book I've read within the last year and really enjoyed. It follows Frannie, a teen girl who feels her life is boring and wants to use the summer to try new things. This opportunity to try new things comes with her cousin Tru who, for some unknown reason, has been sent to his Aunt's home for the summer, to live with her and her family. This was such a fun read, and I think this is perfect for summer if, like me, you have no life and want to read about someone enjoying their summer to the fullest. 



The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

This is one of my all-time favorite reads. It's a YA contemporary that takes place over the course of one day and follows two main characters. one who is spending her last day in the U.S trying to stop the deportation of her family, and another who is struggling with his families expectations of him. This is a really great fluffy, romance read which is something I personally enjoy during the summer, so maybe you will too. 



Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff

I tend to gravitate towards biographies/memoirs in the summer, I don't know why. This is a biography about Cleopatra, and although I haven't read it yet, I think it will be a great read for this season. I'm hoping to read it within the next month or so.



On the Road by Jack Kerouac

This one I have just started reading, but it already feels like a good summertime read. From what I understand, this is a fictionalized account of Kerouac's own experience traveling with Neal Cassady. The hitching-rides-and-drifting-around-the-country aspect of this is what I think will make it a perfect summer read.


Have you read any of these? Let me know in the comments if you did today's T5W post so I can check it out. Subscribe to BookSass for more bookish goodness, and thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment