June 24, 2018

Series I've Started

I was completely inspired to do this by a video by Book Roast (linked here). These are all of the series I've started. I will be letting you know where I'm at with each series, whether or not I'm continuing with it, and why or why not. These are just book series I've started, this doesn't include comic or graphic novel series.

DNF - I did not/ will not continue this series.
Ongoing - I plan to continue with this series.

BOOKS: 

House of Night Series by P.C Cast (DNF)

I struggled to read through Marked, book 1 of this series. It was so incredibly cheesy and reeked of the authors' I'm-trying-to-appeal-to-the-youths dialogue. I have a bindup of the first two novels in the series, and immediately after finishing this, decided I would not be reading the second book. Not only will I not be continuing with this series, but this has left me wary of the author as well.



Legends of the Goldens Series by S.B.K Burns (DNF)

This was a very strange book. The protagonist is a psychic vampire who got knocked up by a human but has a thing for an android. This novella is only around 100 pages, but it was all over the place and left me very confused by the end of it. There isn't enough introduction to the world in the beginning of the book, so things you feel you should already have known, you don't end up finding out about until it's too late to make sense of the information. I gave this two stars and have DNF'd the series.   



Ghostgirl Series by Tonya Hurley (DNF)

I read this when I was about 14 and although I enjoyed it at the time, I never continued with the books. If I wanted to read the other books, I'm sure I would have done it by now, so I'm considering this series DNF'd. 



Fallen Series by Lauren Kate (DNF)

I read this book a couple years ago and I remember liking it fine, but finding it a bit generic overall. I had planned to continue with the series and started the second book, but never finished it. This is a series I'm no longer interested in and am DNFing. 


Violet Eden Series by Jessica Shirvington (DNF)

I read this almost 10 years ago, so I barely remember the plot, but I remember this having a really annoying love triangle and a MC who made the worst possible decisions for no reason. I had decided when I finished reading this that I didn't like the book much and didn't care to read the sequel. 


Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris (DNF)

This was a really cheesy paranormal romance-mystery book. I know this spawned a very popular TV series, but I don't understand the hype. This was quick and mildly entertaining, but I have no plans to read the other books as I feel that would be a waste of my time since I have so many other things I would rather be reading. 


Chronicles of Vlad Todd by Heather Brewer (DNF)

This is another one I read as a preteen. I really enjoyed this when I read it, but I wasn't into reading as much then and never continued with the series. This is definitely geared toward a younger audience, and now that I'm older, I don't really feel the need to read the other books. 


In the Brilliance of the Sun Series by Shean Pao (DNF?)

This was a book I read without knowing much about it. This was strange, but I enjoyed it. It's heavily influenced by Irish mythology, which is something I know practically nothing about and it involves demons and magic. This was supposed to be a prequel for another series by the author, but I never managed to find the other books in the series.


Cirque Du Freak Series by Darren Shan (DNF)

This is a fun middle-grade series about vampires and a paranormal circus. I enjoyed this enough to read the first two books, but I didn't love this series and there are so many books in it, it's just not a priority. 


White Rabbit Chronicles by Gena Showalter (DNF) 

Like many others, I was hoping this would have been a dystopian, zombie-infested Wonderland and the characters of the original story fighting their way through this world, but unfortunately, that's not what this was. In this, the characters are teens in high school and the "zombies" are invisible to everyone, except a few people with the ability to see them, and these zombies feed off of people psychically (or something like that, I read this series forever ago). Overall, this was disappointing and weird, but not in a good way. The characters were frustrating and the romance was overdone, and I have no intention to read the sequel. 


Time Quartet by Madeleine L'Engle (DNF) 

The first book was okay, but it just wasn't something that I enjoyed necessarily. I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi, but even for sci-fi, this was strange. The characters were cute, but I don't plan to continue with the other books. 


Tales of Beauty and Madness by Lili St. Crow (DNF) 

I believe the books in this series follow different characters and different stories but are set int he same fictional world. Nameless, the first book in the series, was a hot mess. The concept and story itself were interesting and unlike anything I'd read before, but the characters and world-building left something to be desired. Many of the characters were flat and inconsistent. The world was poorly explained and confusing to read about. I don't know if these are things the author improved upon in later books, but I don't care to find out. 


Oz Series by Frank L. Baum (Ongoing) 

I have a beautiful Barnes and Noble leatherbound edition of the first five novels in the original series. I have read the first two books, and I enjoyed both. These are quick bits of children fiction and have so much more to offer than we see in the movie adaptation, so I do plan to read the next three books, but I don't know if I'll continue after that. 


Destined Series by Shani Petroff and Darci Manley (DNF)

I read this several years ago, and although I had some issues with it, I was looking forward to the sequel. However, the authors who co-wrote this are no longer working together for some reason, and the sequel has still not been released and I'm not sure if it will be. I'm considering this series DNF'd.


Never Ever Series by Sara Saedi (Ongoing)

This was a really fun contemporary retelling of Peter Pan. I enjoyed this, and it left on such a good cliffhanger that I, of course, have to continue reading this series. 


Holes Series by Louis Sacher (DNF)

I read this as a child and would like to reread it someday, but I didn't even know this was part of a series. I don't think I'll read it's sequel or any other books beyond that because I'm just not interested.


Freak the Mighty Series by Rodman Philbrick (DNF)

This is another book I didn't realize was part of a series until I was preparing for this post. I remember liking this when I read it as a child, and I would also like to reread this, but beyond that, I doubt I'll read the other books.


Young Elites Series by Marie Lu (Ongoing)

I've read this within the last year and thought it was a really fun fantasy series. I plan to continue with the second book as soon as I have time to do so. 


The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (DNF)

I read Inferno which is technically part of a trilogy, so I included it in this post. Inferno is a classic, but I don't feel any desire to read Purgatorio or Paradiso


Rebel Mechanics Series by Shanna Swendson (Ongoing)

I read this a few years ago and loved it. I had to wait a while for the sequel to be published but still haven't picked it up. I definitely plan to continue this series, I'm just not sure when yet as I would like to reread this to refresh the story before continuing.

Shiloh Series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (DNF)

I barely remember this, and didn't know it was part of a series, so I'm considering this DNF'd.


Dorothy Must Die Series by Danielle Paige (Ongoing)

I've read the first two books in this series, as well as the first collection of short stories/novellas. I have loved every book in this series so far and will continue reading the series.


Virginia Shreves Series by Carolyn Mackler (DNF)

I loved this when I read it as a preteen, but I'm not sure I would like it as much if I read it now. I liked the concept of the story and the representation it offered given the time of its publication, so it's something I would still recommend, but I won't be continuing with its sequel.


Robert Langdon Series by Dan Brown (Ongoing?)

I haven't read the first book in this series, but I have read the second, The Da Vinci Code. I read it when I was around 12 and to be honest, some of the story/references went over my head, but what I did understand, I remember liking. I hope to reread this someday, and possibly continue with the series if I still enjoy it. 


Born of Illusion Series by Teri Brown (Ongoing)

This was a really fun paranormal YA that I happened to pick up without knowing anything about it. I'm so glad I did because this has become one of my favorite YA paranormal historical-fiction stories. I think it only has one other book, and I plan to get to that soonish. 



The Looking Glass Wars Series by Frank Beddor (Ongoing)

This was such a unique approach to the Wonderland stories and I really loved this. I definitely plan to continue with the series someday.


V Valentine Series by Carolyn Mackler (DNF)

I read Vegan, Virgin, Valentine as a young teen and enjoyed it, but this is no longer the kind of book I'm interested in reading. 


If I Stay Series by Gayle Forman (DNF)

I read this following the hype surrounding it and actually found it to be pretty boring. This was a huge let down for me, and I don't plan to read the sequel. 


Wicked Series by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie (Ongoing)

The series has been released in three volumes, but with books 1 and 2 in the first volume, books 2 and 3 in the second volume, and book 5 in its' own volume. I have read the first volume, books 1 and 2, and loved them at the time. This series was unlike anything else I've read, and eventually, I would like to read the rest of the series, but it's been so long that I want to reread the first volume before continuing.


Caraval Series by Stephanie Garber (Ongoing)

I read this recently and absolutely loved it. The sequel, Legendary, has recently been published, so hopefully, I'll be able to get to that soon.


Otherworld Series by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller (Ongoing) 

I loved this and thought it was so much fun. The sequel has not yet been published, but when it does, I will definitely be reading it. 


Maze Runner Series by James Dashner (DNF)

I read this after seeing the movie and unfortunately, the movie was way better. The novel is pretty slow for the first half or so, and then it's packed with action scenes. The action just seemed to work better in a movie format than it does in a book format. I was pretty bored with this, and won't be continuing with the series. 


Beautiful Creatures Series by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (Ongoing)

I loved the first book and am really excited to read book 2, I'm just trying to find time for it. 


Lorien Legacies Series by Pittacus Lore (Ongoing) 

I flew through the first two books, but haven't started the third one yet. I plan to continue this series...eventually.


Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas (Ongoing)

I loved the first book in this series but didn't immediately read the second book. I've heard a lot of people say the series gets less enjoyable, and since there are so many books in it, I was a bit put off from continuing it for a while. I've decided to just keep reading it anyway, and see for myself whether it stays interesting, or gets worse. I'm currently reading book 2, Crown of Midnight


Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children by Ranson Riggs (DNF)

I liked this first book, but it was long and I didn't fall in love with this series like I hoped I would. I wouldn't mind reading the sequel, but it's not a priority and I don't think I'll get to this anytime soon, so I'm considering this DNF'd.


The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer (Ongoing) 

I really enjoyed Cinder and although I'm sad that the other books won't follow her story, I do still want to continue with this series. I loved the way Marissa Meyer altered this fairytale and I found her writing fun and unique, so this is a series I plan to continue with. 


The Dark Artifices by Cassandra Clare (Ongoing) 

I have loved basically everything Cassandra Clare has done, including the first two books in this trilogy. Of course, I plan to read Queen of Air and Darkness when it is published later this year. 


The Giver Quartet by Lois Lowry (DNF)

I loved this, but the other books follow different stories set in this world. I wanted more from this story, and don't really care about this world beyond that. 


The 100 Series by Kass Morgan (Ongoing)

I've been a fan of the TV adaptation for several years and finally read this a couple years ago. I loved it, and I haven't read the sequel yet, but I definitely plan to.


Red Queen Series by Victoria Aveyard (DNF)

I remember liking this a lot when I first read it, but I never read the sequel and now it's not the type of story I'm interested in reading any longer.


Illuminae Files Series by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman (Ongoing)

I loved this and plan to continue with this trilogy, I'm just garbage when it comes to actually finishing book series. 


An Ember in the Ashes Series by Sabaa Tahir (Ongoing)

I loved the first book in this series, but I read it so fast, I barely remember anything. I plan to reread An Ember in the Ashes and continue the series after. 


Comment below if you've read any of these, or if there are any series you recommend. Subscribe to BookSass for more bookish goodness, and thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment