June 20, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite LGBTQ+ Books (Non-Cis M/M)

Top 5 Wednesday (T5W) is a weekly meme created by Lainey (gingerreadslainey) and hosted by Sam (ThoughtsOnTomes). Learn more by checking out the Goodreads group here.




The topic for today is one I'm actually super excited about, and it is "Favorite LGBTQ+ Books that do not feature cis M/M relationships". I have a particular beef with the fact that whenever LGBTQ+ books are mentioned, it is almost always books with a cis M/M relationship. Now don't get me wrong, I love that are so many books featuring gay relationships and, of course, I would like to continue seeing more published. I just feel that we should also be promoting and publishing works that focus on other spectrums of the LGBTQ+ community, specifically more books with F/F relationships (Natasha from Cats and Paperbacks has a great post examining F/F relationships in YA. I'll link that here in case you're interested.) However, for this topic, I've tried to find books that represent different aspects of the spectrum. So, below are my Top 5 Favorites fitting this topic.

BOOKS: 


George by Alex Gino

This is a really cute MG novel about a young boy who is trying to understand why he doesn't feel comfortable in his body and likes certain things he's told he's not supposed to. I'm using he/him/boy terms because I'm not sure if George is clearly identifying himself as a girl by the end of the book, I think it just indicates that the story is leaning in that direction (correct me in the comments if I'm wrong!). I loved this book and think it's a great way to start a conversation with children about gender identity.




Tash Hearts Tolstoy by Kathryn Ormsbee

This follows Tash, a teen with a web series which is gaining success, as she learns to handle this success, deals with family issues, and confronts her sexuality. This is one of the only books I've ever even heard of which features a main character who is asexual. I'm not asexual, so I can't speak to how accurately this portrays that, but from what I've heard other people who identify as asexual say, this has done well at representing that aspect of the LGBTQIAP+ spectrum.   

Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour

Emi is a set designer who is dealing with a semi-recent breakup with her longtime on-again-off-again girlfriend. After finding a letter at an auction sale, she and her best friend try to solve the mystery of what has happened to the long-lost granddaughter of a recently deceased old film star. The romance develops slowly and is usually the main character thinking about her feelings rather than scenes of actual romantic development between characters, but it's still a cute story and I loved that this wasn't a coming out story, or one where the F/F relationship develops between two friends. 



Girl Mans Up by M-E Girard

This features a queer girl named Pen who is struggling with her sexual identity and familial expectations. She knows she is attracted to other women and that she likes to look a way that is not traditionally feminine. She isn't sure what this means for her, or her identity though. This discusses gender and sexual identity and shows the confusion someone may feel when they're torn between what they feel and what they think they are supposed to feel. Pen also fights between what she knows she wants and what may make things easier for her, which is something I'm sure many in the LGBTQIAP+ community can understand.


Of Fire & Stars by Audrey Coulthurst

This is a recent F/F read for me and I absolutely loved it. Without the romance between the two main protagonists, this would have been a solid 3-star story. The plot, side characters, and world-building are all very generic and fit the typical "fairy-tale kingdom" setting. And there is an aspect of elemental magic, but again, this is handled in a very uninspired way. What saves this book, and makes it worth reading is the relationship between Denna and Mare, the two perspectives we follow. It is a very slow romance, but it feels so natural between these two characters, and it develops flawlessly.  


Let me know in the comments if you've read any of these. Feel free to leave suggestions of your own, or link your Top 5 Wednesday post below. Subscribe to BookSass for more bookish goodness, and thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment