May 30, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday REWIND: TBR Benchwarmers

Top 5 Wednesday (T5W) is a weekly meme created by Lainey (gingerreadslainey) and hosted by Sam (ThoughtsOnTomes). Learn more by checking out the Goodreads group here.




Today I chose the topic "TBR Benchwarmers". These are books that have been on your TBR way too long.

BOOKS:

The Wrath & the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh

I really have no excuse for this one. It's been sitting on my since 2015 and I still have not read it. I've heard amazing things about this, and continue to hear about it even though the hype has died down a bit, but for some reason, I just haven't picked this up yet. It even sounds like exactly the kind of thing I would enjoy. I do plan to read this sometime this year as part of my new TBR rule which I briefly mention in this post. Maybe I'll get to it this summer? It seems like it might be a good summer read. 


The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien

This has also been in my possession since 2015. I bought this as part of a boxed set and have decided to finally start reading the books this year. I'm currently reading The Fellowship of the Ring and sadly, I'm not loving it like I thought I would. I've heard that The Hobbit is a bit more fast-paced than the Lord of the Rings series is, so maybe I'll try this once I finish Fellowship, but that may take a while. 

Lizzie Borden by Arnold R. Brown

I have had this book for about 10 years. This is a book my mother bought for me when I was in middle school, I'm now 21. So...yeah, it's been a while. I love true crime and find it especially interesting when it's about serial killers, so I have no idea why I haven't gotten to this sooner, but I also plan to read this at some point before the end of 2018.



Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

I've had this for more than 7 years and only picked it up because a friend had recommended it to me. I'm still not sure what exactly this is about, and I've never seen the movie adaptation, but I plan to get to this within the next few months. This is an incredibly popular book, and it's one it seems like everyone has read, so I'm really looking forward to finally reading this.



The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy 

I'm ashamed to admit that I won this several years ago in a giveaway, and still haven't read it. I did start it at one point but I was distracted by the multitude of other books I was reading at the time, so I put this down and just never picked it back up. This still sounds like something I would enjoy and I think it will have an easier time keeping my attention now that I'm a little older, so we'll have to wait and see how that goes.




Have you read any of these? Which should I read first? If you did a Top 5 Wednesday post comment below with the link, or subscribe to BookSass for more bookish goodness. Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Hello. This is my T5W: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjZSgmYFwDS/?taken-by=silver_moon1923

    And this one for another freebie Wednesday: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi1S7ZuHeh3/?taken-by=silver_moon1923

    I've only read The Hobbit from this list. The only thing that bothered me was that most of the chapters were very long. But apart from that, it was such a great book! Maybe you should start with that now, and then continue with the Fellowship of the Ring :D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I may have to do that instead.

      Delete
  2. A lot of people recommend reading the Hobbit first, as it is easier compared to LOTR. I don't know either, I'm too intimidated to even try reading the series ahaha.

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what I'll end up doing. I loved the movies so much that I thought I would love the books too, but Tolkien has a tendency to go into painstaking detail about every little thing. Hopefully the Hobbit goes better. Thanks for reading!

      Delete