May 9, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday REWIND: Books I Disliked, But Love To Discuss

For today's Top 5 Wednesday Rewind topic, I chose 'Books I disliked, but love to discuss'. Some of these were books that disappointed me, some I was very unsure about going into them, and some I just plain hate.

The Books:
  • Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews - This was the first book I ever DNF'd and to this day, is only one of three. I knew in the second chapter that I was probably not going to like this. I pushed myself through it until page 73 where I realized I would not be able to continue with it. I was trying very hard to make it at least 100 pages in, which would have been about 1/3 of the way through, but I just couldn't. The writing style wasn't just one that didn't click with me, it was plain terrible. It sounded like the author was trying way too hard to sound like a teen and failed miserably at it. The story is largely focused on a girl character who has cancer, but within that 73 pages I read, she's barely mentioned. I know this book is fairly popular and it seems like you either love it or you hate it, but for me, it was hate. 

  • Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - Ooooh boy. I have a review coming very soon for this and I think that will give more of an explanation as to how I felt towards this. Long story short, my feelings for this were incredibly conflicting. I didn't understand the point of the main character's existence, there was some very apparent blame put on the people this girl believed to be the reasons she committed suicide, there was one scene towards the end that I found particularly abhorrent. Maybe this book was helpful to someone, but I know it to have done quite a bit of harm as well. However, this is a book I love reading/seeing other reviews for, and getting to hear others' perspectives on.  

  • Nameless by Lili St. Crow - This book is the perfect example of a great idea with poor execution. Nameless is marketed as something between the Godfather and Snow White. I loved the fantasy world the author was telling us about, but nothing in her writing showed us that the world was what she was describing. This book was riddled with problems ranging from confusing characters to inconsistencies in world building to over-explanation in certain areas while lacking in explanation when it came to the history of this fantasy world. Again, the idea for this was brilliant, unfortunately, the author didn't seem equipped to deliver.  

  • The Old Man & the Sea by Ernest Hemingway - I have very mixed feelings toward this one. I think several things factor into my dislike of this novella. Firstly, I am not a fan of Hemingway as a person, so I'm sure that contributed in some way to any negative feelings I had toward this. Second, this is a book that was assigned reading for me in high school. While most of the books I'd been assigned in school I enjoyed, this was not one of them. I'm sure there is a deeper meaning I'm missing but at a surface reading level, this is a story about an incredibly unfruitful fishing trip. I can recognize that this is a work of literary fiction, but I just don't get it. This is a very good character study, but for me, that is just not enough. 

  • Insurgent/Allegiant by Veronica Roth - These are actually two separate books, but they were equally as disappointing for me so I'll be talking about both as if they were the same book. I cannot describe how much I loved Divergent. I thought it was going to be the next big thing, I saw the potential for it and was beyond ready to see where the story was going. Unfortunately, where it was going was Insurgent, and subsequently, Allegiant. Not only did the world and characters not go in the direction I thought they would, but the storyline in both books felt lackluster at best. I love hearing from people who actually enjoyed books 2 and 3 of the Divergent trilogy because I just don't get it, and it's interesting to hear what they have to say. 

What are some books you like talking about but did not like? Comment below, or subscribe to BookSass. Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I am soooo agree with your latest point! Divergent was my favorite YA dystopian book of ever but then Insurgent happened. I was like, okay, maybe this is just a middle book syndrome. I was so wrong and even more dissapointed with Allegiant. It's not even the problem of the ending, it's just the characters change so much they become unrecognizeable and the writing become meh.

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? I remember reading them thinking this has to be a joke, there's no way this is how the story went. But thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. 13 Reasons why is one of my favorite books. I haven't read any of the others though.
    I refuse to read Divergent because of what I've heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divergent was pretty good. If you decided to read it though, I would recommend stopping after book 1 and making up your own ending for the characters.

      Delete