January 7, 2018

100 Women Writers

*This post is inspired by a post by Jean's Thoughts. I'll link her post here. Check it out.* 

I made a goal for myself for 2018 to be the year I read more works by women writers and so I was browsing around the internet for lists of women writers that I could use as a starting point. I happened across Jean's blog, who's booktube channel I already watch and love, and found that she had created a list of 100 women writers. So I'm going to put the list below and mark each writer off as I read work from them (stealing the idea, 100% Jean's, not mine).

The writer's I have read are in bold. By the start of 2018, I'd only read 5 of these women in my entire life which is admittedly shameful. Hopefully, by the end of the year, I'll have quite a few of the names on the list boldened. Below the list, I will leave the names of the women I've read and which of their works I've read in case you would like a recommendation. I'll continue adding names/read works throughout the year as I read them.


1. A. L. Kennedy
2. Agatha Christie
3. Ali Smith 
4. Alice Walker 
5. Angela Carter 
6. Angela Davis 
7. Anne Bronte

8. A. S. Byatt
9. Anne McCaffrey
10. Anne Radcliffe
11. Anne Tyler
12. Arundhati Roy
13. Audre Lorde 
14. Audrey Niffeneger
15. Azar Nafisi
16. Bell Hooks
17. Betty Smith
18. Carol Ann Duffy 
19. Charlotte Bronte 
20. Charlotte Perkins Gilman

21. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie 
22. Christina Rossetti
23. Daphne Du Maurier 
24. Donna Tartt 
25. Dorothy Sayers
26. E. Nesbit
27. Edith Wharton
28. Edna O’Briean
29. Ellen Feldman
30. Emily Bronte
31. Emily Dickinson
32. Emma Donaghue 
33. Elena Ferrante
34. Elizabeth Gaskell
35. Elizabeth Goudge 
36. Erica Jong
37. Fanny Burney
38. George Elliot
39. Han Kang 
40. Harper Lee

41. Hilary Wainwright
42. Helen Oyeyemi 
43. Hilary Mantel
44. Ida B. Wells
45. Isabel Allende 
46. Lynne Segal
47. J. K. Rowling 

48. Jackie Kay
49. Jane Austen 
50. Jaqueline Wilson 
51. Jean Rhys
52. Jeanette Winterson 
53. Jhumpa Lahiri
54. Jacqueline Susann
55. Joanna Russ
56. Judith Butler
57. Kate Atkinson
58. Kate Chopin
59. Alexandra Kollontai
60. Liz Lochhead
61. Louisa May Alcott
62. Louise O’Neill 
63. Madeleine L’Engle

64. Murasaki Shikibu
65. Margaret Atwood 
66. Margaret Cavendish
67. Malorie Blackman
68. Marjane Satrapi 
69. Mary Beard 
70. Mary Shelley

71. Mary Wollstonecraft
72. Maya Angelou 
73. Maxine Hong Kingston 
74. Monica Ali
75. Muriel Spark 
76. Naomi Mitchison
77. Naomi Wolf
78. Nnedi Okorafor
79. Octavia E. Butler
80. Pat Barker
81. Robin Hobb 
82. Rokheya Shekhawat Hossein 
83. Rosa Luxemburg 
84. Roxanne Gay 

85. Ruth Ozeki
86. Sappho 
87. Sarah B. Pomeroy 
88. Sarah Waters
89. Sheila Rowbotham
90. Shirley Jackson 
91. Simone De Beauvoir
92. Sylvia Pankhurst
93. Sylvia Plath
94. Toni Morrison
95. Ursula K. Le Guin
96. Virginia Woolf

97. Vita Sackville-West
98. Willa Cather
99. Zadie Smith
100. Zoe Fairbairns 



Anne Bronte: The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - This book was fantastic.
Charlotte Perkins Gilman: The Yellow-Wallpaper - Short and powerful. Recommend.
Han Kang: The Vegetarian - Strange, but very interesting. Recommend.
Harper Lee: To Kill a Mockingbird - A fine story, but I definitely had issues with this.
Helen Oyeyemi: What is Not Yours is Not Yours - Short story collection. Highly recommend.
J.K Rowling: Harry Potter Series - Will continue recommending this until I die.
Madeleine L'Engle: A Wrinkle in Time - A nice middle-grade story, but ultimately disappointing.
Margaret Atwood: The Robber Bride - A captivating story. Highly Recommend.
Mary Shelley: Frankenstein - Recommend. Mathilda - Also recommend. Enjoyed this more than Frankenstein tbh.
Roxane Gay: Bad Feminist - Absolutely loved this.
Virginia Woolf: A Room of One's Own - I enjoyed it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment